To set up H5P.com in edX you need to:
- Set up LTI 1.1 between Open edX and H5P
- Add Open edX as a tool consumer in H5P.com
- Insert your H5P content on a course unit using the LTI Consumer
- Verify that it works
Note: At the moment, the key required by Open edX, can only be found by creating a connection with Moodle. This is a momentary fix to generate the needed key, but we are working on fixing this.
Part 1: Set up LTI 1.1 between Open edX and H5P
To do an LTI 1.3 integration, first, you'll need to set up Open edX with an LTI 1.1. This way edX will recognize H5P.com as an LTI provider.
To do this, follow this tutorial Setting up H5P.com in Open edX (LTI 1.1).
Part 2: Add Open edX as a tool consumer in H5P.com
Step 1: Log in to H5P.com as an admin user with your e-mail address as user name and your password
Step 2: Go to Manage Organization
Step 3: Go to "Connect LMS"
Step 4: Press “Add LMS Connection” and select your LMS: Moodle. Select LTI version 1.3 and press “Save”
Make note of the following information provided on H5P.com, these are the connection details and look something like this:
- Login URL: https://yourorganization.h5p.com/lti/login
- Redirect URL: https://yourorganization.h5p.com/lti/launch
- Public key: https://yourorganization.h5p.com/lti/pem/numbers.pem
You’ll be needing these in the next section.
Important: Please, do not copy and paste the information above, it won't work, as it has been edited and are not the actual details you must use. You need to copy the valid values from inside H5P.com as they are personally and randomly generated. It looks something like the image below:
You’ll be needing these in the next section.
Part 3: Insert your H5P content on a course unit using the LTI Consumer
By following the 1.1 tutorial, you should've turned Open edX into an LTI consumer. So now all you have to do is add an "External resource".
Step 1: First to insert H5Ps on Open edX, follow these instructions:
- Go back to your content outline on Open edX
- Enter or create a Section, Subsection, and Unit
- On the unit, click on "Advanced" and on "LTI Consumer"
- Then on the top right corner of the unit click on "Edit"
Step 2: In the "Edit" submenu, fill it in following these instructions
- Display Name: set your preferred name, could be something that matches your activity
- LTI Version: LTI 1.3
- Tool Launch URL: https://<yourdomain>.h5p.com/lti/launch (The Redirect URL copied from h5p.com)
- Tool Initiate Login URL: https://<yourdomain>.h5p.com/lti/login (The Login URL copied from h5p.com)
- Tool Public Key: on H5P.com, click on the "Public Key" (do not copy to clipboard) and a new window should pop up, showing something like this:
-----BEGIN PUBLIC KEY----- MIIBIjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQEFAAOCAQ8AMIIBCgKCAQEA1UU32dAz9sAWoNwJmDiJ /YtV8TUlMJQG3CvMh7iL7Hgdij2ySMz4BMXQ9FUqOJRNMpuqD7MuwfvNfCV1pL1e D81nONKBb/Ia977GvC1gBJhZ2oCiNJCjd1zp1DQzYT2lybskupnHFPI8QK7PdlAm +YjUtCpKnzTyNXav3sIDafdsvadfvadfvc8CJeQq6iY9wbhpeyjN340ZTixgLF7s XFMR+Kxu1h2Vtz1EQO+KSVzd6AwylhWBiL5ORVR16e5volBBbvAEr0fnOITh5LBd gDTjh/DG8Oz7luANBsQo5GUOtyo8eX5Z6Cgq9Pu+tzNLLsXnSKfa3hiq7qPO9nP3 CwIDAQAB -----END PUBLIC KEY-----
- Enable LTI NRPS: False (Default)
- Deep linking: True
- Deep Linking Launch URL: https://<yourdomain>.h5p.com/lti/launch (The Redirect URL copied from h5p.com)
- LTI Assignment and Grades Service: Allow tools to manage and submit grades (programmatic)
- LTI Launch Target: Inline (Default)
- Scored: True
- Request user's username: True
- Request user's email: True
- Click the "Save" button.
Step 3: After saving the content, a window will open with the tool information, this needs to be inserted on H5P.com.
Step 4: Head back to your H5P.com account, locate the registration you created, and press the “Connection settings” button next to it. The “Add registration data” dialog should appear.
Step 5: Fill in the form using the details from the previous section, and click Save.
Note: When using Open edX, the issuer should be "https://sandbox.openedx.org"
Step 6: Press the “New deployment” button under the registration and paste the “Deployment ID” provided by edX in the previous section. Press “Save”.
Step 7: Go back to Open edX, Publish the unit and then click on "Deep Linking Launch - Configure tool"
Step 8: When configuring the Deep Linking, you must choose the content type on H5P you want to insert on Open edX. You must also be an admin or a super user on H5P. After doing this the content should be inserted in edX.
Part 4: Verify that it works
After publishing the content, you should be able to see it inserted on Open edX. You can also "View the Live Version" and "Preview" the content, in both these views, is possible to test the content with a different role.