To set up H5P.com in edX you need to:
- Add Open edX as a tool consumer in H5P.com
- Make your Open edX course an LTI consumer and add the LTI passport
- Insert your H5P content on a course unit using the LTI Consumer
- Verify that it works
Part 1: Add Open edX as a tool consumer in H5P.com
Step 1: Log in to H5P.com as an admin user with your e-mail address as user name and your password.
Step 2: Go to Manage Organization
Step 3: Go to "Connect LMS"
Step 4: Under "Select your LMS" choose "Other". Fill in "edX" or something similar in the Connection name field, Choose LTI v1.1, and click "Save".
Note: If you want to use LTI v1.3, you need to first do the LTI 1.1 and follow this tutorial
Note the data marked in the picture below: (1) Key and (2) Secret. You'll see the Secret by hovering over the eye icon.
You’ll be needing these in the next section.
Part 2: Make your Open edX course an LTI consumer and add the LTI passport
Step 1: Now you'll need to enable LTI in Studio then you'll need to use the previous information in Open edX, in the form of an LTI passport. To do this, follow these instructions:
- Open or create a course in Studio
- On the top right corner, click on Settings and then Advanced Settings
- Inside the "Advanced Module List" box copy and paste this: "lti_consumer"
Step 2: After this, scroll down to "LTI Passports", in here you must insert the Key and Secret from H5P. It has to be in this format: "id:client_key:client_secret".
For example: "H5P:joubelad2aa:seHcOiQewt8tPj9c8muMoK4HcIosp8Vu"
- The ID is the key that Open edX will use. In this case, we used H5P as the ID, so that we can quickly find it later
- The client_key is the Key from before
- The client_secret is the Secret from before inside H5P
- Save the changes
Part 3: Insert your H5P content on a course unit using the LTI Consumer
Step 1: Now it's time to insert H5Ps on Open edX
- Go back to your content outline on Open edX
- Enter or create a Section, Subsection, and Unit.
- On the unit, click on "Advanced" and on "LTI Consumer"
- Then on the top right corner of the unit click on "Edit"
Step 2: In the "Edit" submenu, fill it in following these instructions
- Display Name: set your preferred name, could be something that matches your activity
- LTI Version: leave it in LTI 1.1/1.2 (Default)
- LTI ID: enter the label you gave your LTI Passport earlier. In my case, it's H5P
- LTI URL: the link to the content that will be inserted on Open edX, it can be found by opening the content on H5P.com E.g. https://documentation.h5p.com/content/1291775236149463798
- Scored: if the content will be used for scoring, set to true
- Weight: if you selected scoring, chose how much, in scores, this unit will give.
- Send Extra Parameters: set to true
- After filling this, click on Save
Step 3: In the unit view, click on the "Publish" button.
Part 4: Make sure that it works
After publishing the content, you should be able to see it inserted on Open edX. You can also "View the Live Version" and "Preview" the content, in both these views, is possible to test the content with a different role.