Teachers' uptake of H5P across the globe is significant and growing rapidly. Because of this, we see many of our customers with multiple H5P.com organization accounts. A University for instance might end up with multiple departments, teams, and individual teachers purchasing H5P.com licenses for separate organizational accounts in parallel.
Why going from multiple organization accounts to one big organization account is complex and time-consuming
When Central IT or similar organizational units discovers that H5P.com should be made available to the entire organization the multiple organizational accounts already purchased may be hard to merge together for the following reasons:
- H5P content is usually embedded within the LMS using LTI or traditional Iframe embedding. The embed codes are stored in the LMS and will point to where the H5P content is currently stored. Each H5P.com organization account has its own subdomain. Moving the content from one account to another also involves updating all embed codes. Since the embed codes are stored in the LMS outside of H5P.com's control we can't update them automatically. Updating all embed codes manually or via any APIs provided by the LMS can be time-consuming.
- Each organization account may have different settings. For instance, one might turn off grade pass back and change the color of all buttons to green, another may have it on and have the default button color. Merging this together may involve both a lot of discussions and some work making sure the content works as expected within the new account.
- "Central IT" may decide that only a limited set of content types should be allowed - what to do about content already created using the "forbidden" content types?
What are the advantages of one big organization account?
- Easier management of users, content, and settings
- Lower costs
- Higher potential for reuse of content within the organization
- Easier to manage one LTI provider instead of multiple
What are the advantages of multiple organization accounts?
- Can have different settings
- The unit owning each organization account has full control over it themselves
We advise customers purchasing H5P.com to involve "Central IT" as quickly as possible to avoid ending up in a situation where the organization has to go through a tough process of merging together multiple H5P.com accounts.